POST GRADUATE DIPLOMA IN PSYCHOLOGY
What is a PG Diploma?
There are many paths to build and strengthen your career as a psychologist and one of them goes through a PG diploma course. A post-graduate diploma course is another prevailing option for psychology aspirants. It is a short-term course that can be pursued after completing your Bachelor’s degree. It is usually 1 year (2 semesters each of 6 months). It includes all the areas from your specialization but does not include any thesis or dissertation. The students have to do an internship at the end of the program and submit the case report to receive the diploma certificate. They are different from the Master’s degree in terms of tenure and subjects offered.
To know more about Master’s in Psychology, read Masters in Psychology in India.
RCIThe RCI Act was passed by Parliament and became a statutory body on 22 June 1993. The Rehabilitation Council of India (RCI) is a government body set up under the Parliament Act to regulate training programs and courses aimed at communities with disabilities, disadvantaged and special education requirements.
RCI APPROVED LIST OF PG DIPLOMAS
There are many RCI approved institutions that offer Postgraduate diplomas in various fields of psychology such as Child Guidance and Counselling, Disability Rehabilitation and Management, Developmental Therapy, Clinical Psychology, Special Education (Intellectual Disability), etc. These are offered in both, distance and well as regular mode. Some of the institutes are:
- Sweekar Academy of Rehabilitation Sciences, Telangana – PG Diploma in Clinical Psychology
- The Amity University of Behaviour and Applied Sciences, Noida – PG Diploma in Clinical Psychology
- B.M. Institute of Mental Health Ahmedabad, Gujarat – PG Diploma in Clinical Psychology, PG Diploma in Rehabilitation Psychology
- NIPCCD - Advanced Diploma in Child Guidance and Counselling (ADCGC)
- Students who have completed their Bachelors in Psychology are eligible for direct enrolment.
- Students from allied fields must have at least one psychology paper and one year of work experience in the field of psychology to enroll for distance learning.
The National Council for Educational Research and Training (NCERT) was established to provide academic support to improve the standard of school education in India.
NCERT, through the Department of Educational Psychology and Foundations of Education (DEPFE), offers Diploma Course in Guidance and Counselling (DCGC). The course is offered at DEPFE, NIE, New Delhi, and Regional Institutes of Education of NCERT at Ajmer, Bhopal, Bhubaneswar, Mysore, and Shillong. The seats at each of the centers are up to 50 and Reservation is applied as per government rule. The course fee for general candidates is 30000 INR.
- The candidate must have scored 50% to be eligible for the course.
- Graduates with a teaching degree and postgraduates in the area of psychology and allied fields with teaching experience or similar can apply.
- Forms are available at the NCERT’s official website and in person at the centers. Shortlisted candidates have to go through a personal interview and essay writing for selection.
THE COURSE IS SPREAD OVER THREE PHASES:
- Distance learning phase: it lasts for 6 months during which audio-video and written material are provided to the learners.
- Contact program: It is organized for 3 months to give intensive training to the students in the practical work.
- Internship: candidates have to undergo an internship at a school or guidance and counseling centers for 3 months in their hometown under the supervision of an expert.
The National Institute of Public Cooperation and Child Development introduced its Advanced Diploma in Child Guidance and Counselling (ADCGC) in the year 2005 to address the need for trained counselors to work in the area of child psychology. The course is affiliated to Guru Gobind Singh Indraprastha University, Delhi and is RCI approved.
It is a one-year program that includes a two months internship. The medium of instruction is English. 30 seats with Reservation policy as per Government Rule are available. The candidates who wish to apply have to go through CET/ written test for selection.
- Master’s degree from a recognized university in the field of psychology or allied fields.
- Bachelor’s degree from a recognized university in the field of psychology or allied fields with a work experience of minimum 5 years with children
- M.Ed. from a recognized university or B.Ed. from a recognized university with a work experience of 4 years with children.
After completing the PG diploma, you can work as a practitioner in:
Always remember to go through all the details of the course and institution that you are applying for, whether it is a PG diploma, MPhil, or Ph.D. It should meet the criteria and vision that you have in mind.