MSc HEALTH PSYCHOLOGY AT THE UNIVERSITY OF HYDERABAD
Pursuing MSc in Health Psychology from the University of Hyderabad
BY SANYA SIROHI AND VINEET SEKHON
Are you inclined towards the biological facets of Psychology? If YES, then Health Psychology is a field you must explore! Health Psychology studies every aspect from wellness to illness following a Biopsychosocial model.
The University of Hyderabad offers MSc, Ph.D., and 5-year Integrated MSc courses (IMSc) in Health Psychology under the School of Medical Sciences. Let's know in detail about the course.
- Objective: The first Center for Health Psychology in India was founded at this University in 2007. Its research focus includes biopsychosocial aspects of chronic illness, life quality, neuropsychological studies, ICU trauma, reproductive health, psycho-oncology, disability studies, resilience studies, peace studies, child and adolescent, and community health.
- Training: Every student has to complete experiments, field studies, Dissertation, Internship of 200 hours in 2 semesters. During the internship, the students are trained to provide psychotherapeutic interventions to patients under faculty supervision.
Career Opportunities/ Placements after IMSc/MSc
- Placements in Government and Private Sectors.
- Job opportunities in Universities and Colleges for teaching positions and hospitals as Health Psychologists after Ph.D.
- Independent work as Consultant Health Psychologist in organizations to improve health and healthcare delivery.
Related Post: Health Psychology
The admission to both M.Sc. (5-Year Integrated) and MSc (2-Year) in Health Psychology are based on the University's National level written test.
- The test for Admission to M.Sc. (5-year Integrated) in Health Psychology will assess the candidate's knowledge of psychology at +2 NCERT and English proficiency.
- The test for admission into M.Sc. Health Psychology will assess the candidate's knowledge of Psychology (Graduation Level) and English proficiency.
M.Sc. Health Psychology (5-Year Integrated): Minimum of 60% marks at +2 or equivalent in Arts or Sciences is required.
M.Sc. Health Psychology: Minimum of 60% marks in Bachelor's with Psychology as one of the subjects for three years is required.
After clearing the exam, one needs to appear for the counseling session with the required documents for the seat allotment.
Total Course Fees:
M.Sc. Health Psychology 15,200 INR (view the prospectus for further details)
M.Sc. (5-Year Integrated) Health Psychology: 20 Seats
M.Sc. Health Psychology: 15 Seats
Health Psychologists study how patients handle illness and develop health care strategies that foster emotional and physical well-being. The field has a vast scope in India in the future if one opts for it as a career.