M.A. Psychology: Lifespan Counseling At St. Xavier’s College, Mumbai
Abhija Chatterjee and Aishwarya Kalra
Want to develop skills to help solve the mental health concerns of people across all age groups? Don’t know where to start? Then you're in the right place! As the title suggests, the article covers the what and how of pursuing an MA in Psychology: Lifespan Counseling from one of the most prestigious institutes of Mumbai, St. Xavier's.
What is Lifespan Counseling?
Lifespan Counseling is a very important subject and also is the need of the hour. It helps us understand the mental health and other concerns of all age groups across the lifespans, and the diverse population within each age group. Different stages of the lifespan are focused on and studied in the subject. The focus is to help the professionals develop therapeutic skills suitable for each age group. It is a domain in which major fieldwork is required.
About St. Xavier's College
Established 152 years ago in Bombay (present-day Mumbai), St. Xavier’s College had an attendance of only two students. In the present day, the college is affiliated with the University of Mumbai and offers various undergraduate and postgraduate courses in Science, Commerce, Management, and Arts. ‘Provocans ad Volandum’ or ‘Challenging to Fly’, which is a Latin Motto, is central to the college vision. The college has been awarded the highest rating (A+) by NAAC in 2007.
Image source: St. Xavier’s College
Click here to know more about the college.
About the ProgramMA Psychology in Lifespan Counseling is a two-year full-time course consisting of four semesters. The college offers lectures and fieldwork five days a week (Monday to Friday). The college teaches the following papers in the duration of the two years :
Image source: St. Xavier’s College, Mumbai
For more details, click here.
Related Post: MA in Applied Psychology at TISS
Only those students are eligible to fill the online form for admission, who hold a Bachelor’s degree in any faculty but have studied at least one paper of Psychology during their three years of the course.
- The first step in the admission process is to fill the online application form. The college has started accepting the online application forms for the session 2021-22 from May 23, 2021. The application link will be open till June 23, 2021. The application fee is Rs. 2500.
- The next step is an online entrance examination which is compulsory for all the eligible candidates who have applied for the program (irrespective of the category).
- The admission to the course is based on the marks obtained in their Semester V of the respective Bachelor's program (holds 40% weightage) and their performance in the entrance exam (holds 60% weightage).
- The selected candidates are then called for an interview. This interview round is not a part of the selection process. But it aims at familiarizing the students with the course structure, its nature, requirements, etc.
Details regarding the Admission Policy of the college can be found here: Admission Policy
- The exam will be held via online mode and the students can appear for it from the comfort of their home.
- The duration of the examination will be two hours and the language of the exam will be English.
- The exam will include two sections- a multiple-choice test and an essay question.
- The multiple-choice test will include 100 questions that will assess the student's understanding of psychology. The questions will be based on the following areas of psychology: General Psychology, Social Psychology, Developmental Psychology, Counseling Psychology, Abnormal Psychology, Industrial Psychology, Cognitive Psychology, Experimental Psychology, and Psychological Testing and Statistics.
- The essay question will assess the student's reasoning and analytical ability, their thought process, and their awareness regarding topics within and beyond psychology.
Note: The exam might be held at the end of June (tentatively).
Fee Structure and Seats
The fee for the course is Rs 92,000 per annum. The number of seats available for the course is 30. No stipend is provided during the course.
Image source: St. Xavier’s College, Mumbai
St. Xavier's College is one of the most prestigious colleges in India. It offers multiple courses in multiple disciplines. It provides various other facilities to the students. St. Xavier's College can be an excellent choice for you to pursue Psychology in India!
To know more, visit the college's official website.
Thank you for reading. We at PowerWithin aim to help you with your career in Psychology. If you find our blog posts to be helpful, do share them with others and help us reach as many aspirants as we can.