HOW TO BECOME AN EDUCATIONAL AND VOCATIONAL GUIDANCE COUNSELOR IN INDIA?
Career in Educational and Vocational Guidance Counseling in India
VRUTIKA BHAGAT, BHANVI SINGH CHOWDHARY
Everyone has a right to make a choice. Often, students either out of peer pressure, parental expectations, or society's influence make it difficult for them to have their own decisions in courses/careers. Educational and vocational counselors closely heeds to such students' needs for their further growth and development. This article is about what it takes to be an Educational and Vocational Guidance Counselor in India.
ABOUT THE CAREER
An Educational and Vocational guidance counselor helps students/children figure out their education and/or career. Educational Counseling manages students' problems related to education. Vocational Counseling helps an individual to select an appropriate vocation and prepare for that.
As both are necessary for students/children who have given their boards and are disoriented about the future. Educational and Vocational Guidance Counselor helps:
- In figuring out students' education/career goals.
- Take various personality/aptitude assessments.
- Guide/motivate students/children who feel clueless about further education.
- Aids students in making plans, informed-structures for career management.
- Objectively counsel students about the purpose of their goals.
- Empathize and help depressed students to make healthy decisions.
Ultimately, students can make the right decisions for their future career/vocation through educational and vocational counseling.
Related Post: How to Become a School Counselor in India
To pursue a career as a Educational and Vocational Guidance Counselor in India, one must have-
- A Master's Degree in Psychology from a UGC recognized university/institute.
- A Diploma in Guidance and Counseling from a recognized university/institute.
These are the minimum requirements for the career.
Related Post: NCERT- Diploma Course in Guidance and Counseling
SCOPE IN INDIA
Back in the 60s, 70s, and 80s, there was a lack of organized guidance for education and vocation/occupation. With a developing country like India, which has the highest youth power, there comes the responsibility of giving the right direction to their energy and creativity in suitable vocation.
Even though moderately in its budding phase, a career as a Educational and Vocational Guidance Counselor is ever-expanding. India needs counselors more than ever, as the scope is steadily rising!
For the Master's degree in Psychology:
- Hindu College, New Delhi
- Fergusson College, Pune
- St. Xavier's College (Autonomous), Mumbai
- Symbiosis College of Arts and Commerce, Pune
- Mithibai College of Arts, Mumbai
For Diploma in Guidance and Counseling:
- Lovely Professional University, Jalandhar
- Mahatma Jyoti Rao Phoole University, Jaipur
- SGT University, Gurgaon
- Annamalai University, Tamil Nadu
- Banaras Hindu University, Uttar Pradesh
Individuals need an apt attitude for showing paths to young minds. If you have what it takes to become an Educational and Vocational Guidance Counselor, then go for it!