HOW TO BECOME A CAREER COUNSELOR IN INDIA?
Becoming a Career Counselor in 6 Steps
Do you want to be the savior of those Indian teens who aimlessly choose Engineering/Medical fields each year to be a part of that bigger crowd?
If you're passionate about helping students realize their interests and choosing the career that best suits them, then a career in Career Counseling is for you! Here you will get everything you need to know about becoming a Career Counselor in India.
KEY ESSENTIALS AS A CAREER COUNSELOR
- As a career counselor, you require tremendous knowledge about all the career opportunities available in the market, educational systems, and degrees offered by several educational institutions. Remaining up to date with new-age career paths and current job options is of utmost importance.
- Getting parents aligned with their children's choice, case handling, refined understanding of human psychology, psychometric theories, tests and assessments, communication, empathy, and other interpersonal skills in counseling are vital to gain expertise in this profession.
Related Post: Difference between Clinical and Counseling Psychology
WHAT DO CAREER COUNSELORS DO?
- They conduct various psychometric tests to decipher the clients' aptitude, IQ, skills, and personality type and then use this knowledge to advise the best possible career options aligning it with their interests.
- Not only this, they help people with their already existing careers with the choices they can make to get them promoted or to improve the overall experience at the workplace.
- Writing resumes and cover letters is another thing in which career counselors can assist their clients.
WHERE DO CAREER COUNSELORS WORK?
They can work in schools and colleges, educational consultancy companies, NGOs, employment agencies, or private practitioners.
Related Post: How to Become a School Counselor in India
6 STEPS TO BECOME A CAREER COUNSELOR IN INDIA
Here are listed six steps to becoming an efficient Career Counsellor in India:
- CCA (Certified Career Analyst) is the most recognized certification program for Career Counselors in India. This online program can help you stand out among your competitors by increasing your credibility and reliability in the market.
- The job of a career counselor is highly measurable and practical. Initial hand-holding or support from an instructor can contribute to gaining practical training and experience in the field.
For a youth population of about 400 million, India offers only 5000 professional career counselors! Hence, it cannot be emphasized enough how much our country needs certified and trained career counselors.
After all, a nation's future will be preserved if most of its youth population is an asset instead of a liability. This is possible only if the fish is told to swim in the water and not climb a tree!