Blog Details




Srijaa Basu, Rohit Bhutani

Exploring Psychology In Public Sector

Government jobs available in the field of psychology

A psychology aspirant can opt for jobs in both the public and private sectors. The private sector has various career opportunities, whereas there are fewer options for government jobs. Yet government jobs are more lucrative as they are well paid and promise job security. Here are a few career options that available in the public sector (PSU) in India:



  • Jobs available as clinical psychologists and counsellors in government hospitals and clinics.

  • Clinical psychologists must be RCI registered.

  • Diploma, PhD or MPhil in psychology and specified work experience required

  • Hospitals announce their vacancies.




  • Jobs available as associate professors, assistant professors, and professors at colleges/universities

  • To teach, one is supposed to clear UGC NET which makes one eligible to teach as a lecturer/Associate professor after completing M.A. from a renowned institution.

  • A person can further progress with higher studies such as M.Phil and PhD to become asst. professor or a professor.



  • To teach at a govt. School, one is supposed to appear for and qualify Teachers Eligibility Test:- TET (Central: CTET or state, e.g. HTET) along with other essential requirements to teach psychology,i.e., a master's degree and B.Ed.

  • ​​​​​​​A career counsellor or school counsellor requires a diploma in Guidance and Counseling from a recognised institute. 




  • Serving as a counselling or clinical Psychologist in defence or Army

  • Specialisation as a military psychologist also available at few Institutions like DIPR, Amity university, etc.

  • ​​​​​​​Recruitment options generated by the Ministry of Defence in time to time

National Health Mission (NSM):

  • This is a government initiative that “envisages achievement of universal access to equitable, affordable & quality health care services that are accountable and responsive to people's needs” Contractual jobs are available for clinical psychologists, child psychologists, counsellors, and other roles.

  • Clinical psychologist – Post-graduation in Psychology, Applied Psychology, Medical, Social Psychology, and RCI recognised Mphil and specified work experience. 

  • Counsellors – Post-graduation in Psychology, Sociology, and specified work experience

  • ​​​​​​​Child Psychologist – Post graduation in child psychology, diploma and specified work experience



Rehabilitation centres: 

  • Serving as a counsellor or a clinical professional

  • A person is supposed to  complete post-graduation in psychology  specialising  in counselling and clinical, along with other diplomas courses in rehabilitation (e.g. In geriatrics, children,  vocational  evaluator, intake specialist, etc.)

  • ​​​​​​​One can look up for recruitment at different rehabilitation centres generating vacancies from time. 

Look for Rehabilitation centres around you





Leave a Reply

Comment Field is required.


PW Education Support: Typically replies within a day ×

PW Education
Namaste 🙏
How can I help you?