Career In Trauma Counseling
Sanya Sirohi, Vineet Sekhon
Career in Trauma Counseling
For a person struggling with the darkness of trauma, Trauma Counseling is the light of hope to conquer that darkness. Trauma Counseling can help a person come out of the overwhelming effects of trauma. Let's learn more about Trauma Counseling and how to pursue it in India!
What is Trauma Counseling?
Trauma Counseling is a form of talk therapy that helps a person recognize the thoughts and emotions encountered during or after a traumatic incident and come to terms with them.
Aim: To treat the Emotional and Mental Health consequences of trauma.
Trauma is a psychological reaction to a profoundly traumatic incident that physically and emotionally impacts an individual.
How long does it take in Trauma Counseling?
It takes around 10-20 sessions for the patients to feel improvement. For example, for Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD): 15-20 sessions, Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT): 10-20 sessions.
The 5 Principles of Trauma-Care
The First significant Step in Trauma-Informed Treatment is to ensure that an individual's physical and emotional protection is addressed.
Therapy Best for Trauma
Common Therapy Approaches to Help Deal with Trauma:
- Pharmacotherapy (use of medications).
- Behavior Therapy
- Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT)
- Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing (EMDR)
- Psychodynamic Therapy
- Group Therapy.
How to Pursue?
In India, there is no specific course available for Trauma counseling. But one can opt for Masters in Counselling, which provides an overview of counseling theories with socio-cultural diversity.
- Admission is either merit-based or based on an entrance exam followed by an interview. Some colleges accept access to a master's degree with graduation in any subject.
- Various internships and dissertations will give you hands-on experience in dealing with clients.
- 1-year diploma courses are also available that help in enhancing counseling skills. These are most relevant for people who might not be holding a master's degree in psychology yet want to build a career in counseling. The institutes should be RCI recognized.
Scope in India
The Scope of counseling has exponentially increased in India.
After completing your post-graduation, you can work in:
- Psychological counseling/rehabilitation centers.
- Marriage and relationship agencies.
- Organizations, schools, universities, social work, etc.
Skills Required: Active listening, Empathetic, Problem-Solving, Patience, and Effective Communication Skills.
Institutions Providing Course for Trauma Counseling
Some leading colleges to pursue M.A / M.Sc. in Psychology/Counselling Psychology in India:
Related Post: Master’s in Psychology in India
Institutions offering PG Diploma in Guidance and Counselling include:
Related Post: Post Graduate Diploma in Psychology
Facing trauma is like entering a battle of emotions. One can either lose that battle or can win it by arming themself with shields and weapons. That weapon is your courage, and Trauma Counseling is the shield!
Leave a Reply