BECOMING AN ASSISTANT PROFESSOR IN INDIA
An assistant professor is a primary level teaching position in a university, above which are associate professors and professors. If one aspires to become a professor, it begins with being an assistant professor or an Ad-hoc (temporary) assistant professor.
An assistant professor has to fulfill responsibilities such as teaching and guiding the students, attending the departmental meetings, using their experience and expertise in serving their profession and university as well as supporting their colleagues academically.
For becoming an assistant professor of psychology, one must fulfill the following eligibility criteria :
- Bachelor's degree in psychology or non-psychology subjects;
- Master's in psychology or sub-psychology fields with a minimum of 55% (50% for SC/ST/OBC category) marks from a UGC recognised university;
- UGC-NET (National Eligibility Test) /JRF (Junior Research Fellowship) qualified to apply for the post across the country or SLET (State Level Eligibility Test) which is restricted to the state itself;
- One must also possess a Ph.D. in the respective field according to the new education policy or at least the thesis must be submitted.
- Academic Performance Index (API) in which the academic performance of the candidate based on the percentage of Bachelor's, Master's, M.Phil (optional), Ph.D., NET/JRF along with other certifications is evaluated.
- Selected candidates are then called for an interview and after clearing the interview one is hired as an assistant professor.
For more information watch: https://youtu.be/8CUiZ7Lgqn8
Image Source: The Hindu
UGC-NET is a national level examination conducted by the National Testing Agency (NTA) to assess and reward a candidate with the eligibility for the post of assistant professor and/or Junior Research Fellowship. It is held twice a year.
Candidates who have completed a Master's or are pursuing can apply for this exam. It consists of two papers. Paper 1 is research-based and paper 2 is based on the selected subject.
To know more about NET/JRF, read our blog- UGC NET JRF Psychology Preparation.
Besides academics, one should be hardworking, skilled, knowledgeable, patient and also have a heart for teaching students. The profession is demanding yet noble. The respect and status you get are worth all the hardships you've put in.
To know more about this profession watch- https://youtu.be/ZFaN4AmOfyA